Benefits of Eating Superfoods
First, What are Superfoods?
The term “superfood” has been around since the early 20th century, and was initially used as a phrase coined to sell more bananas (no, really!). Since then, it has been used by various medical and dietary professionals as a term to indicate that a particular food has exceptional properties. Although it’s commonly used, the term isn’t scientific.
Today, however, the term superfood is used to describe foods that tend to have high levels of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. These are mainly those that are heavy on nutritional value and light on calories. The benefits of these are usually linked to preventing disease and sickness, as well as promoting personal health.
Before we list the superfoods you can grow with the AquaTree hydroponic garden, we’d like to caution you to focus on the food’s actual nutritional value, not just the marketing. Decide for yourself if adding any of these sprouts and microgreens would be beneficial in your daily life.
What are the Advantages of Eating Superfoods (and Can I Eat Too Many?)
The benefits of eating superfoods can include better digestion and immune systems, improved skin health, and increased energy levels. They can help you feel great and live a longer, healthier life. Here’s a list of foods and possible benefits you can gain from them:
- Cruciferous vegetables is a large group of veggies that includes bok choy, cabbage, brussel sprouts, kale, swiss chard and collards. They are an excellent source of fiber, vitamins, and phytochemicals, which may prevent some types of cancer.
- Legumes are rich in fiber, folate, and plant-based protein. Studies show they can help reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Soy may also prevent memory loss caused by aging. It may also reduce bone loss as well as decrease menopausal symptoms.
As with many things in life, you can have too much of a good thing. It may be tempting to load up on one particular food, but remember that creating a balanced diet will yield the best results. Talk to your doctor or dietitian about which superfoods would be best for you.
What Superfoods Can I Grow Using the AquaTree™?
The AquaTree™ can help you grow many kinds of sprouts and microgreens, whether it’s a superfood or “regular” food. Foods that have been dubbed “super”, and that can be grown in the AquaTree™ include:
- Cruciferous veggies like kale sprouts, swiss chard sprouts and collard sprouts.
- Legumes such as peanut sprouts, soy sprouts, alfalfa sprouts, and yellow and green pea sprouts.
Keep in mind that although some of what you can grow in the AquaTree™ has been labeled a superfood, many of the sprouts you’ll be able to grow have their own unique qualities and nutrients that make them just as special!
How can I add superfood sprouts and microgreens to my diet?
Adding sprouts and microgreens, whether superfood or not, has never been simpler. The AquaTree™ allows you to grow your own food and have harvests ready whenever you want them. Just so you know, superfoods aren’t just for salads! Here are a few ideas to get started:
- Make sure you have a fruit or a vegetable every time you eat, including meals and snacks.
- Add shredded greens to soups, stews, and stir fries.
- Sautee them with a little olive oil or try them steamed
- Add to casseroles and pasta dishes!
These are just a few of the ways that you can add superfoods to your everyday life! Keep up with our blog and social media channels for more tips and healthy recipes!